TriFOD
  • Welcome!

Welcome to TriFOD, Hyderabad discussion platform for Travel, Housing, Food etc. Please register to join us for free.

Hyderabad to Srilankan beaches

ksa171983

Couple of years ago we wanted to go on a short trip towards water be it beaches,backwaters,waterfall and we were penning our thoughts and suddenly my wife tells me why not out of the country and that is how it started.

There was no specific budget planned but back then when out of country came to my mind it means thousands and probably couple of lakhs.

So my wife was planning her destinations out of the country and i was planning destinations within the country :) .

I came up with as usual Goa and kerala and she came up with SriLanka..

My estimates for a 4 night 5 days was around 35k max for Goa and it came for 50k for kerala which i found too much.

We did the itinerary and the flights towards srilanka were cheaper than domestic flights towards goa/kerala. The accommodation was cheaper as well...Hold on then i realized 1 INR = 2 Srilankan Rupee.

So that is how we ended up planning Sri Lanka but how and what no clue..

Did some basic research and below was planned..

Hyderabad to chennai train.

Chennai to Colombo through Air Asia.

Colombo airport to Induruwa by road to WASANA beach hotel - 3200 per night.(Two hours journey by Road). We stayed for 3 nights food included..

Above was the only plan and rest we wanted to just take it hour by hour :) Interesting isn't it? No plan nothing .. just spend time and let the brain and ad-hoc research at the hotel do the work..

We were quite pleased with the room and beach view.The balcony faced the beach.

Day1: We just stayed at  the hotel beach and relaxed.

Day 2: Water Sports at bentota beach, Galle cricket ground.

Day 3: Local site seeing .

Day 4 :To Chennai and then we decided why not Mahabalipuram when we have couple of hours for the train towards Hyderabad ;) .

• Like 5

Local site seeing,the villages,Galle cricket ground (where everyone knew Jayasuriya :P) and the water sports:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMG_2645.JPG.340e41300170c2c28278984642dad735.JPG

IMG_2646.JPG.2bb17c0d127a5d6863d7fa5e9c3d4843.JPG

IMG_2651.JPG.0b63d6161a2378dee31369244acae0c0.JPG

IMG_2654.JPG.97e7275e29ab21168e9b456625c64d2f.JPG

IMG_2657.JPG.dbe18b7363ba0cac4a37826814470eb4.JPG

IMG_2737.JPG.ff60ce1c42262981e1591a23f8c95016.JPG

IMG_2741.JPG.160bef6984cd1af8d7ca7d588ebdfa76.JPG

IMG_2742.JPG.38d6a16210e1571d7f7515e255c0a4eb.JPG

IMG_2758.JPG.dfb3e2235d358927b31d579280002c67.JPG

IMG_2764.JPG.942aeffbbcc0c3844727f9589ce1fe3c.JPG

IMG_2768.JPG.2742fb342386b263ce76d4b7464bd6f0.JPG

IMG_2770.JPG.89bb8107d2d9787cd42b2ccc875478bb.JPG

IMG_2774.JPG.3b50ca570d11ac4055372503c7b1a9e7.JPG

IMG_2781.JPG.77a7acd3ee137f0d7f3a048a05d7ac3e.JPG

IMG_2792.JPG.deb8db282d8fdcb79ed39dff2ee03216.JPG

IMG_2802.JPG.e3ac8d4a8527fd1c4ad9ece7d5939686.JPG

IMG_2806-cpp.jpg.9d02f9659c719542d086ef59cc9fd3ed.jpg

IMG_2833.JPG.1c4ed5dde12ca9fe2b8cb51568232837.JPG

IMG_2835.JPG.4ff0b056d73fa4a97de219fac224bd81.JPG

IMG_2836.JPG.50829ed17420932498df4b85f6ecb3c5.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG.5d97752b128c698cedc4ea466d870d63.JPG

IMG_2861.JPG.ae77aea28373d3342af2c4292e8ed5eb.JPG

IMG_2870.JPG.6882a21f953612ef6e6efa97f59b85b2.JPG

IMG_2871.JPG.aa7c2f63ee5d312d5aefe82bf776caeb.JPGimageproxy.php?img=&key=2d68905c4ab20acfIMG_2947.JPG.53dfe4f48414336de64df8ca8bc9bc91.JPG

• Like 6

The Lankans are super sweet people .Their country or rather the places we have been to are super clean. There is no litter anywhere . I have not seen them using Plastic.

The local food we had was amazing and was super healthy too.

The beaches were very pleasant and clean.Local stuff is cheap for Indians considering the currency difference..

And all the above came to us at 35K for 4 days overall two people flights included,food included, shopping included, tarriff and tips included..

Some places must:

--------------------------------

Induruwa beach and the coastal drive as shown in the map below.There are many beaches kissing the road and you would want to get into each and everyone of them :) .

The water sports at Bentota

Capture.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sridhar Tandra said:

Wooo!! This is too sweet and crisp! How many nights did you stay in Srilanka and what was the overall budget you spent, please provide break up for Transportation / Local Sight Seeing / Hotel Stay / Food etc

Also, what's the best time to visit Srilanka?

We stayed for 3 nights at https://www.tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Review-g7152934-d6213048-Reviews-WASANA_Beach_Hotel_Restaurant-Induruwa_Galle_District_Southern_Province.html

Per night back then we were charged 3500 inclusive of breakfast.

Transportation we hired a cab for the entire stay and it costed us around 5000 for 4 days.

Local Sight seeing is pretty cheap compared to our Indian tourist places..

Flights we traveled in air asia from chennai to colombo- it costed us around 15k to and fro..

Overall I ended up spending around 35k-37k inclusive of train travel from Hyd to chennai and back to hyd from chennai.

Best time to visit would be June/July.. We went in June couple of years back.

It was a very peaceful trip to Lanka with no crowd, no nonsense , only good roads and excellent beaches..

You can spend the entire day on the beach without doing anything :)

But if you want to extend and cover more places then there are temples in and around, safaris as well..

Yala safari is kind of famous around Induruwa..

Well there are tonnes of safaris overall.

Sigiriyya rock forest.

Kandy.

Katarngama water falls.

Some gardens and tree estates also there.

Galle fort

Since we just wanted to relax we did not go for trekking or too much traveling around..

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, RajG said:

Great pictures.

Resembles Kerala very much.
Beaches look clean.

What is the best month to visit Srilanaka?

Also how is the pricing, I mean hotels/resorts are priced reasonably? 

Pricing is very decent outside the city and trust me that is where you want to stay :) .. away from the city ..

You can get good beach facing room's in decent resorts  at 3k to 6k  depending on how luxuriously you want to stay.

June-September ideally is excellent and we went in June..

• Like 5

Great travel log.

So what is it the over all cost for a couple?
Does taking self drive in Srilanka make any sense?

Pricing looks very economical.

After reading your log,

I started searching for accommodations in Airbnb.
They are very beautiful and priced very reasonably. 

I think Srilanaka makes a lot of sense over Goa. (for the people like me, who are going repeatedly)

Next time, If someone says Goa, I will divert them to Srilanka. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ranger said:

So what is it the over all cost for a couple?
Does taking self drive in Srilanka make any sense?

Overall cost for me and my wife was around 35k inclusive of everything.

Yes driving along that road i showed in the map is beautiful and the roads are excellent.

But ensure that you don't cruise at higher speeds and keep it around 50-60 as villagers,animals (monkeys.cows,hens,NO dogs :P , deer) keep crossing..

1 hour ago, Ranger said:

After reading your log,

I started searching for accommodations in Airbnb.
They are very beautiful and priced very reasonably. 

I think Srilanaka makes a lot of sense over Goa. (for the people like me, who are going repeatedly)

Next time, If someone says Goa, I will divert them to Srilanka

airbnb,agoda,tripadvisor and couple of other sites you can get.. but finding a good location where people dont go much is a challenge.. so just ensure that you pick a beach resort so that if nothing is there to travel you atleast have a beach/good food / a beer or coffee in hand with your friend/girlfriend/wife next to you :)

There are good number of safaris which is understandable as the entire country is full of forests and elephants..

After seeing excellent places/beaches on this ID forum i feel there are many peaceful beaches with birds chirping,sounds of waves and peaceful compared to the crowded Goa which people litter a lot.

Goa to me makes sense only during off season.. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Lovely post @ksa171983, Very much informative. I know it sounds very cliché after listening this line again and again... "Yes, It looks similar to Kerala to me too" :D The beaches look very neat and I see a mangrove boat ride in your pictures too. It must have been an experience. And I have a very silly query regarding your trip to Srilanka.. Do we need to attain the VISA before hand or is it Visa on arrival for Indians or Indians do not require a VISA at all to tour Lanka alike Bhutan ? :O

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ksa171983 said:

Goa to me makes sense only during off season.. :)

Goa is any day a beautiful place to me. The non-commercial side of the Goa is very beautiful and much peaceful. A place to be to relieve from all your stress in life :D

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sagar said:

Do we need to attain the VISA before hand or is it Visa on arrival for Indians or Indians do not require a VISA at all to tour Lanka alike Bhutan ? ?

This was one very important thing which I failed to mention in my post :( .. apologies..

Two ways:

-One is On-arrival VISA but we did not do this and I am thankful to my decision as once we landed there was HUGE Q for on-arrival visa..

-Second one is fill up online form pay 20$ and submit the docs https://www.ivisa.com/sri-lanka-visa?country=IN

I followed online process and for us once we entered Lanka we did not have any Q and process was 15 min that is it :) .

But the process keeps changing with Goverments.I went during Congress :)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, sagar said:

Goa is any day a beautiful place to me. The non-commercial side of the Goa is very beautiful and much peaceful. A place to be to relieve from all your stress in life

My favorite place in Goa is Morjhim Beach with coconut water in my hand  under the umbrella :P .

Goa is indeed very beautiful..

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ksa171983 said:

Two ways:

-One is On-arrival VISA but we did not do this and I am thankful to my decision as once we landed there was HUGE Q for on-arrival visa..

-Second one is fill up online form pay 20$ and submit the docs https://www.ivisa.com/sri-lanka-visa?country=IN

I followed online process and for us once we entered Lanka we did not have any Q and process was 15 min that is it :) .

Now, I get the clear picture, I think getting it done online is much hassle free and you have done it the right way.

Also, I always wanted to drive down towards Mahabalipuram covering Pondicherry, pichavaram and rameshwaram covering Pamban and Danushkodi. That idea slowly faded away and your pictures reminded me of it again. I would to see your exclusive post on Mahabalipuram which could help me out :D

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, sagar said:

Also, I always wanted to drive down towards Mahabalipuram covering Pondicherry, pichavaram and rameshwaram covering Pamban and Danushkodi.

I have done chennai-mahabalipuram-pondicherry and then back to chennai a zillion times just to get the benefit of saving taxes at Pondicherry on the products i wanted to consume ;)

The entire stretch what you mentioned is beautiful and sunny.

Since i was local in chennai back then i felt Mahabalipuram is "just" another beach (all the beach localites would agree with me ).

There are just  3 beaches in Mahabalipuram where you can chill out but can not stay unless your pockets can accommodate a 4 or 5 star.

From mahabalipuram till Pondicherry the entire stretch you can get down the car and relax at any beach.But at these locations better to go in a group as the crime rate is high.

You would get the feeling of Goa in pondicherry beaches but most of  them are kind of isolated as it is not as famous as Goa.

Edited by ksa171983
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, sagar said:

I always wanted to drive down towards Mahabalipuram covering Pondicherry, pichavaram and rameshwaram covering Pamban and Danushkodi

I kind of remembered the conversation with my wife during my Konkan region trip :)

I told her we covered temples,beaches,towns,villages,cities,watrerfalls,mountains,difficult terrains,sunny/rainy/windy and dusty weather as well.just desert is pending..

To which she mentioned if the kid and her would not have been with me then who knows I would have  applied few more leaves(fought with my boss) and would have drove down to Jaipur..

That thought that time actually excited me and i started checking the maps and details to travel to Jaipur from Gokarna .. :D:D

• Like 2

On 6/29/2018 at 4:03 PM, RajG said:

think they should ferry cars.
It will definitely improve the tourism. 

Well there were from dhanushkodi exit and also tuticorin to Colombo ...ferry boats but due to the unfortunate circumstances between TN and Sri Lanka all had been stopped .

But efforts are continually being made to offer ferry services from tuticorin Colombo but since the current airfare charges are much cheaper the Govt is reluctant to invest in lose in ferry services .

there was also a luxury ship that used to travel this 40km via sea but again it failed due to lack of tourists.

so looking at so many loops I don’t think ferry services for tourists would happen anymore .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hsudhir said:

superb report on the srilankan beaches @ksa171983. I am planning to visit Lanka this December. Would it be the right time to plan my trip and make it eventful ? :)

December would be good as well with the weather easing out on u... in fact Sri Lanka is one place where entire year it would be good enough.. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ksa171983 said:

December would be good as well with the weather easing out on u... in fact Sri Lanka is one place where entire year it would be good enough.. 

That's great. Thanks for responding so quickly. Will soon do my bookings after my wife confirms on her leaves at work :D.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hsudhir said:

That's great. Thanks for responding so quickly. Will soon do my bookings after my wife confirms on her leaves at work :D.

Have you planned your journey and what to visit ?

And all the best for your vacation.. do post pics :)

• Like 1