TriFOD
  • Welcome!

Welcome to TriFOD, Hyderabad discussion platform for Travel, Housing, Food etc. Please register to join us for free.

Road Trip to Bhutan - The best of Nature

SSSS

Hello fellow enthusiasts,

Recently I was on a road trip to Goa and enjoyed a lot. The hunger of being on road never ends, so with some long discussion with my better half and parents, we came on a decision to take a Road Trip to Bhutan. The plan is set, dates are fixed and I have started working on the itineraries. The chosen month is April, as very less time is left, I am turning to you guys to suggest me the required preparations for the trip. We would be four travellers, the vehicle would be Hyundai Xcent SX 2016 model with less than 10K on it. As it is my parent's car and is mostly driven by the driver, I'd be getting everything serviced. The trip would start from Jabalpur (M.P) to Thimphu (Bhutan) to Jabalpur (M.P). An approximate total of 3500Km, plus 300km miscellaneous. I have some questions and would really appreciate if get the answers from the experienced people of this forum.

1. Best route?

2. How many halts?

3. How many days in Bhutan (West)?

4. Luggage Carrier, would it be an issue for a sedan?

5. Luggage Career Vs Roof Box, which is better?

6. IceBox, is it required?

That's it for now, sure would have many more questions later.

~Sam

900px-Flag_of_Bhutan.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 1/23/2018 at 3:20 PM, SSSS said:

Hello fellow enthusiasts,

I have some questions and would really appreciate if get the answers from the experienced people of this forum.

1. Best route?

2. How many halts?

3. How many days in Bhutan (West)?

4. Luggage Carrier, would it be an issue for a sedan?

5. Luggage Career Vs Roof Box, which is better?

6. IceBox, is it required?

900px-Flag_of_Bhutan.png

Hi @ssss, Firstly congratulations for being up to do a cross country which is definitely not an easy task. I hope you would do it as per plan and make it absolutely an epic of a road trip.

I would like to suggest you the following route plan and Itinerary considering Jabalpur as your base point.

Day - 1

Route: Jabalpur - Katni - Mauganj - Chandauli

Distance: ~ 500 kms

Time including breaks: ~ 14 - 15 hours

Stay: Check for decent hotels on the Delhi - Kolkata highway (Grand trunk road) before Chandauli.

Tips:

1) 20 kms before Chandauli you can get into the Varanasi town for better availability of accommodation if not able to find one on the highway.

2) Would suggest you not to drive down further as ending up in Bihar on that highway during night time would be risky.

Day - 2

Route: Chandauli - Sasaram - Muzaffarpur - Forbesganj

Time including breaks: ~ 13 - 14 hours

Stay: Hotel Jyothi in Forbesganj is recommended as it is the best amongst a very few options on that highway.

Tips:

1) You will reach Forbes at dawn just before the sky turns darker probably if in case you start your journey at 4 AM in the morning. Hence, I suggest you to stop by Forbesganj.

Day - 3

Route: Forbesganj - Araria - Bahadhurganj - Thakurganj - Phansidewa - Mal bazar - Nagrakata - Pheuntsholing (Bhutan entrance) - Chapcha - Thimpu

Time including breaks: ~ 14 hours

Stay: Lot of decent stay options in Thimpu of all ranges including Taj :D

Tips:

1) At any cost make sure you start at 4 AM. There is a lot of ghat section which has to be driven on this day and doing it during the dark is not recommended. Suggest you to take short breakfast and lunch breaks in between.

2) Also, You will eat up some time at the Bhuntan entry point. (Bhutan gate)

3) You can check out the famous crocodile zoo at Pheuntsholing which is pretty close to the Bhutan gate. (Recommend you to cover this place only if you are crossing the Bhutan gate by noon, else can cover it on your way back)

Take 3 good days to cover the beauty of Bhutan.

Places recommended to cover:

1) Paro

2) Thimpu

3) Punakha

4) Rinpung Dzong

5) Pheuntsholing

6) Any of the National parks.

3 days to get back home the same way and 9 good days would be very well sufficient to do your road trip comfortably. Wishing you all the best and a safe journey.

Don't forget to update us back with a report of your road trip having some good pictures :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1