Jump to content
TriFOD
  • Welcome!

    Welcome to TriFOD, Hyderabad discussion platform for Travel, Housing, Food etc. Please register to join us for free.

Hyderabad to Indore road condition update


Recommended Posts

Road condition /update ( 26 June 2020)

Hyderabad > Aurangabad > Dhule > Indore

 

Instead of going via Nagpur - Betul, this time I tried this route for my journey to Indore yesterday as I used to get fed up with the road condition from Betul to Indore despite the fact that Hyderabad to Betul route is very nice and well maintained.

 

Start time : 8:30 AM ( Kondapur ) actual plan was to start at 4 AM.

 

Reached Indore ( Vijay Nagar) at 2:15 AM ( a good 18 hours of drive)

 

Hyderabad- Aurangabad route is pretty good and was able to reach Aurangabad by 4:30 pm. This route has become better now I believe as most of the work is completed. I remembered last year I took around 10 hours to reach Aurangabad.

 

Most of the big restaurants along the route are closed or empty.I decided to have my meal at McDonald’s Aurangabad. They were only allowing drive thru.

 

Border crossing : Only once they check the epass on the border and noted down the detail.

 

Aurangabad > Dhule

Started from Aurangabad at 5 pm after the meal and reached Dhule at 9 pm.

Aurangabad to Ellora Caves route is good.

After Ellora caves there is a patch of around 5-10 km where construction is going on. Road condition is not good and mostly service road being used for both side of the traffic.

After this patch - entire route till Dhule is 2 lane with no divider so average speed on this os around 40-50 only.

 

Dhule > Indore

Started from Dhule at 9 PM and reached Indore by 2:30 AM.

This route/highway is well know and well and well maintained as well

 

Overall not many private vehicle on the route and mostly commercial vehicle are plying in the road.

No strict checking at any border. Safe to carry a soft copy of e pass.

 

Have not yet decided which route I would take while coming back from Indore [emoji846]

 

By : Amit Jain

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2020 at 12:10 AM, Ranger said:

 

Hyderabad- Aurangabad route is pretty good and was able to reach Aurangabad by 4:30 pm. This route has become better now I believe as most of the work is completed. I remembered last year I took around 10 hours to reach Aurangabad.

 

 

Thanks for all the details. It is really helpful.

 

Could you please share the route taken for Hyderabad to Aurangabad. Was it Zahirabad - Naldurg - Osmanabad - Aurangabad? 
If yes, you would have entered Karnataka as well for 100 odd kilometers. 

Did the MP pass suffice for both Karnataka and Maharashtra border or you had to take any other passes as well ?

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I drove from Indore to Khandwa on Sunday (9th August).
The road is the same, except a small 15km patch at the end where you exit the AB Road and head east in the direction of Khandwa.

 

And I will say that just based on the Khandwa<->Indore road condition, I will recommend the via Nagpur Betul Harda Khategaon Kannod route to go to Indore. I travelled that recently, on my journey from Hyderabad to Dewas, on 27-28 July. I have a hatchback (Polo) and there are patches of road between Indore and Khandwa which are so bad that nothing on the whole Betul to Indore (via Harda Kannod Khategaon) route compares with them. I got off of that road at Double Chowki, to head to Dewas, and I can vouch for the entire stretch between Betul and Double Chowki as having no section which is as bad as the bad sections I encountered on the way from Indore to Khandwa exit of AB Road. This includes the hill patch between Chicholi and Timarni --- I will agree that it needs to be navigated with care, and it has bad patches, still none of them are as bad as sections of road on AB Road when you go from Indore to Khandwa in terms of pothole size and frequency and overall state of the road.

We travelled from Dewas to Khandwa, via Indore Bypass in my dad's Fortuner, and even with that car I had to be quite careful in a number of patches after exiting Indore Bypass onto the 2-lane road.

 

Based on that I will recommend against the Aurangabad > Dhule > ... Route for Hyderabad to Indore.

Update: As I write the guide for the Betul to Dewas road... I am beginning to think I was too judgemental here. It's a choice. You can make yours :D Both the roads have their pros and cons.

Edited by sankalpk
Wisdom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a detailed overview of the Road Journey from Hyderabad to Dewas, which is the same as the road to Indore until a place called Double Chowki, from where Indore Bypass is only 23 more km on NH-47, and from where I cut north towards Dewas.
 

Hyderabad to Nagpur (27th July 2020)

 

Nagpur to Betul (28th July 2020)

Betul to Dewas (28th July 2020)

 

Driving time for Nagpur (Le Meridien, South end of the City) to Dewas (Nagpur -> Betul -> Harda -> Kannod -> Double Chowki -> Dewas) was around 9-10 hours (including occasional stops, no scenic detour in the hills)

Look out for the exit sign saying "Indore" as you approach Betul, and prepare yourself for a less epic journey in terms of road quality. Speed breakers will happen, unmarked ones too. And of course there'll be some bad road.
Google maps should guide you fine in terms of the route to take, I will put down here some pointers about specific things. Note that all this is for the up journey, from Betul towards Dewas.

The road until Chicholi is mostly good, if you are cautious enough regarding what folks ahead of you are doing, and slow down when you see them slow down. I wouldn't recommend speeding past 120 unless you're very sure of what you are doing. Mostly you'll find yourself going at speeds like 80-100 max, until the real bad stuff arrives after Chicholi. Of course, when you pass human inhabitation, please slow down as courtesy to the people living there.

Over here you will see a temple literally on the side of the road (left side) and the moment you pass such a temple, please become alert for some pesky small speed bumps
This leftward curve in the road is a bad patch. Please slow down and navigate it carefully until the road becomes OK again.
Another bad patch here, at the left turn in the road.
From this point until this point, after you've crossed Chicholi, I recommend taking it slow, because you're going to have to slow down again and again due to the road condition through the town.

Now after Chicholi please bear in mind that, at least for AirTel users, the network will vanish at some point very soon. Send your messages, save your offline maps etc. Network will only return when you're descending out of the hills on the other side, on the Timarni side. The scenery will be gorgeous though, and if you take some detours, you can see some very pretty and rather unspoiled rural areas. Reminded me of the Shire from LOTR, I kid you not.

Bad road here and very shortly after that over here too.
Bad road again.

In the hills the road is mostly average or below average. Wouldn't recommend any high speeds at all. One silver lining is that there's road building works in progress, and that means maybe in a year or two we'll have a decent road in this patch, which'll tilt the scales very definitively in favour of this route via Nagpur, Betul, Harda.
But the scenery makes up for it. I would recommend taking breaks if you need to, breathing the air, listening to the sounds etc etc :)
If you want to take the lovely little villages detour I talked about above, exit the highway onto the Pradhan Mantri Grameen Sadak Yojna Road that splits from here and come back the same way once you've had your fill. I would suggest taking out at least an hour for this detour. If it has rained, the scenery is lovely, and there are lots of small seasonal rivulets, lakes and so forth. Surprise fun fact: The detour road is actually better than the main road. Go figure.

 

AirTel network returns somewhere around here.


Once the hilly terrain of the Satpuras has ended, we're in mostly flat lands of the Narmada basin until some point past Kannod where you climb up ghats to get onto the Malwa Plateau. Reasonable roads, most of the way, after what you'll have crossed in the hills just prior.

Once you reach Timarni, and you turn left to go west-ish towards Harda, there's an area full of very irksome small speed bumps. This marker falls somewhere within that pesky small speed bump territory. Once they start, they keep happening for a good long while (maybe more than 10-15 km?). You have been warned.

In Harda you follow google maps and road signs to exit north-bound, cross Narmada ji (side rant: if you see good amounts of water in the river consider yourself lucky and probably stop to take in a sight which you may not see again in the future, given how rainfall's dwindling and forests in MP are going away faster than we can imagine) and head towards Khategaon.

I don't have a lot of map markers to drop after Harda, but I think that's a good thing, because it means I didn't have to slow down very much very frequently. 


After Khategaon once you have reached Kannod, if you want to go to Dewas, I will recommend going north towards Ashta and using Bhopal Road from there. It's a much nicer driving experience (I did it recently on my way back from Khandwa via Punasa Dam on 9th August). No reason to go via Double Chowki etc. from Kannod.
If you are going to Indore, you will continue on NH-47. After Kannod you'll encounter a generous frequency of speed breakers for a while. Then they'll thin out. Safe driving!

I will recommend leaving from Nagpur as early as possible, so that you get to Indore while there is daylight. These 2-lane roads aren't great for your eyes after sundown, thanks to our national standard of driving in high beam.

DISCLAIMER: The points I've marked might not be the only ones, there could be more, and road situations change.
But I've tried to inform you of the ones that were bad enough that I stopped to save them in my google maps.

Edited by sankalpk
Add more information
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2020 at 12:36 PM, sankalpk said:

I will recommend leaving from Nagpur as early as possible, so that you get to Indore while there is daylight. These 2-lane roads aren't great for your eyes after sundown, thanks to our national standard of driving in high beam.
 

 

Thank you for the update Sankalp, you information will be very helpful for the people who are travelling during COVID.
Appreciate your contribution. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 8/16/2020 at 1:06 AM, sankalpk said:

Here is a detailed overview of the Road Journey from Hyderabad to Dewas, which is the same as the road to Indore until a place called Double Chowki, from where Indore Bypass is only 23 more km on NH-47, and from where I cut north towards Dewas.
 

Hyderabad to Nagpur (27th July 2020)

 

Nagpur to Betul (28th July 2020)

Betul to Dewas (28th July 2020)

 

Driving time for Nagpur (Le Meridien, South end of the City) to Dewas (Nagpur -> Betul -> Harda -> Kannod -> Double Chowki -> Dewas) was around 9-10 hours (including occasional stops, no scenic detour in the hills)

Look out for the exit sign saying "Indore" as you approach Betul, and prepare yourself for a less epic journey in terms of road quality. Speed breakers will happen, unmarked ones too. And of course there'll be some bad road.
Google maps should guide you fine in terms of the route to take, I will put down here some pointers about specific things. Note that all this is for the up journey, from Betul towards Dewas.

The road until Chicholi is mostly good, if you are cautious enough regarding what folks ahead of you are doing, and slow down when you see them slow down. I wouldn't recommend speeding past 120 unless you're very sure of what you are doing. Mostly you'll find yourself going at speeds like 80-100 max, until the real bad stuff arrives after Chicholi. Of course, when you pass human inhabitation, please slow down as courtesy to the people living there.

Over here you will see a temple literally on the side of the road (left side) and the moment you pass such a temple, please become alert for some pesky small speed bumps
This leftward curve in the road is a bad patch. Please slow down and navigate it carefully until the road becomes OK again.
Another bad patch here, at the left turn in the road.
From this point until this point, after you've crossed Chicholi, I recommend taking it slow, because you're going to have to slow down again and again due to the road condition through the town.

Now after Chicholi please bear in mind that, at least for AirTel users, the network will vanish at some point very soon. Send your messages, save your offline maps etc. Network will only return when you're descending out of the hills on the other side, on the Timarni side. The scenery will be gorgeous though, and if you take some detours, you can see some very pretty and rather unspoiled rural areas. Reminded me of the Shire from LOTR, I kid you not.

Bad road here and very shortly after that over here too.
Bad road again.

In the hills the road is mostly average or below average. Wouldn't recommend any high speeds at all. One silver lining is that there's road building works in progress, and that means maybe in a year or two we'll have a decent road in this patch, which'll tilt the scales very definitively in favour of this route via Nagpur, Betul, Harda.
But the scenery makes up for it. I would recommend taking breaks if you need to, breathing the air, listening to the sounds etc etc :)
If you want to take the lovely little villages detour I talked about above, exit the highway onto the Pradhan Mantri Grameen Sadak Yojna Road that splits from here and come back the same way once you've had your fill. I would suggest taking out at least an hour for this detour. If it has rained, the scenery is lovely, and there are lots of small seasonal rivulets, lakes and so forth. Surprise fun fact: The detour road is actually better than the main road. Go figure.

 

AirTel network returns somewhere around here.


Once the hilly terrain of the Satpuras has ended, we're in mostly flat lands of the Narmada basin until some point past Kannod where you climb up ghats to get onto the Malwa Plateau. Reasonable roads, most of the way, after what you'll have crossed in the hills just prior.

Once you reach Timarni, and you turn left to go west-ish towards Harda, there's an area full of very irksome small speed bumps. This marker falls somewhere within that pesky small speed bump territory. Once they start, they keep happening for a good long while (maybe more than 10-15 km?). You have been warned.

In Harda you follow google maps and road signs to exit north-bound, cross Narmada ji (side rant: if you see good amounts of water in the river consider yourself lucky and probably stop to take in a sight which you may not see again in the future, given how rainfall's dwindling and forests in MP are going away faster than we can imagine) and head towards Khategaon.

I don't have a lot of map markers to drop after Harda, but I think that's a good thing, because it means I didn't have to slow down very much very frequently. 


After Khategaon once you have reached Kannod, if you want to go to Dewas, I will recommend going north towards Ashta and using Bhopal Road from there. It's a much nicer driving experience (I did it recently on my way back from Khandwa via Punasa Dam on 9th August). No reason to go via Double Chowki etc. from Kannod.
If you are going to Indore, you will continue on NH-47. After Kannod you'll encounter a generous frequency of speed breakers for a while. Then they'll thin out. Safe driving!

I will recommend leaving from Nagpur as early as possible, so that you get to Indore while there is daylight. These 2-lane roads aren't great for your eyes after sundown, thanks to our national standard of driving in high beam.

DISCLAIMER: The points I've marked might not be the only ones, there could be more, and road situations change.
But I've tried to inform you of the ones that were bad enough that I stopped to save them in my google maps.

Awesome details .please do write about return journy

Link to post
Share on other sites

I travelled back from Dewas to Hyderabad this last weekend. Nothing much different in terms of the road conditions:

 

  • Dewas to Ashta (Bhopal Road): Good road, can speed. Beware of the herds of stray cows though.
  • Ashta to Kannod: Careful in the ghati patch (the hill ghat roads on the descent) other than that the usual level of caution while driving on 2-lane state highways. Speed bumps may be unmarked. But road condition is quite fair.
  • Kannod to Harda: Bad patch prior to Narmada Bridge. Huge speedbreaker that comes before a Y-fork in the road, take the one to the right, and be careful on the Narmada Bridge too.
  • Harda to Timarni: lots of speed bumps in the 20 mins before Timarni
  • Timarni to Chicholi:
    • Part 1: Before the hills begin: You can go nice and smooth. Couple of speed bumps and a few bad patches but decent road otherwise
    • Part 2: Once the hills begin, be cautious. Either the road is really bad and disintegrated (often with ongoing construction) or it has patches of great tarmac. When you speed up --- as you might on the good patches --- be ready for the need to brake with little notice.
    • General Tip: Slow down when there is a downward bend in the road (altitude wise). Most of those points are bad road start
    • Part 3 : Once the hills have ended (ish), the part from there to Chicholi is good road. Minus the unpredictable bumps / maintenance patches
  • Chicholi to NH44 / NH43 / NH (Road from Betul to Nagpur, 4 Lane): Just hold on to your patience. Drive knowing that any speeding antics here just before you've reached the best part of your road in MP is a bit reckless :)
  • Betul to Nagpur: MP Side of the road --- while it is Cement / White road? --- is great. Lovely scenery and smooth road. Enjoy it. Can really go fast if you are comfortable with it and your car has grip and control
  • Betup to Nagpur: Maharashtra side of the road --- Still decent, but not the same. Bit slower would be better
  • In Nagpur: No need to ring road or anything. Follow Google Maps
  • Nagpur to Hinganghat: Bad patches at the start then decent road mostly.
  • Hinganghat to Telangana Border: Be very careful these parts have bumps / bad patches that can break low ground clearance cars. Just hold on to your guns till you enter Telangana if you have such a risk factor. You need to up the vigilance level after that signal right turn near Hinganghat (straight goes to Chandrapur, we turn right to Hyderabad). Despite best precautions I managed to bang the front passenger tyre at one point before getting to Telangana. Just saying.
  • Telangana Border onwards to Hyderabad: Great road. Great scenery too. Those trademark clumps of tiny speedbumps (that get more dense as the patch ends) prior to local road Junctions. Contoured roads at those local road junctions / turnings.... So much lovely roadmaking. Welcome back to the South!~
Edited by sankalpk
Please
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sankalpk said:

I travelled back from Dewas to Hyderabad this last weekend. Nothing much different in terms of the road conditions:


Most detailed report. Thank you sharing the details. Very few people share the information after their trip. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sankalpk said:

Hey @sagar no I carried items I could survive on. Some parcelled food that I refrigerated at the hotel, some fruits etc that remained useful across both days, kimia dates, thermos etc for coffee/tea. No stops at all in the presence of people, like a shop or restaurant.

Hey I totally get that.. That’s the best way to do it infact..

I was just wondering if you have noticed any big food joints or restaurants enroute where we have keep a track of this database on restaurants available in this route. This could be helpful for anyone of us in the future post Pandemic.. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am planning for Hyderabad to Indore and Return. 

 

From above posts I am sure I am not to going via Nagpur. 

 

My brother's suggestion. 

a) Hyderabad ----->   Pune (Stay)-------> Indore. (This is adding approx. 200 to 300 Km extra) But all are 4 lane.

b) Hyderabad ----> Aurangabad (stay)------> Indore

 

For option B:- What will be the best route.. Via Tuljapur or via Nanded.

 

Can it be done without stay.

 

Any suggestions on Aurangabad Stay.  Major food Points for Lunch/ dinner.

 

Any issues in Hills kannad Autram Ghat.

 

Regards,

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't go via Nanded it's horrible road, Hyderabad to Aurangabad via Tuljapur is almost four lane except 50 odd kms between Omerga to Tuljapur. If you start early 5AM with single break you can reach Aurangabad by 12:30 without doing any insane speeds. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

NH 222 in Maharashtra (the same road that cuts west around Nirmal, in Telangana, and is wonderful while in Telangana, until you cross over to Maharashtra) should be avoided at all costs.

 

I once went from Indore to Hyderabad via Ajanta caves (Khargone, Yawal Wildlife Sanctuary, MH Border, Ajanta, Parbhani, Nirmal, Hyd) and it was a road so bad I was shocked that a National Highway could be that bad. Trucks were needing to dodge those potholes they were so deep and so bad. Just avoid the Marathwada region if you can help it. Really poor job by Maharashtra government on civic amenities and probably not important on the NHAI’s radar either.


disclaimer: my experience described above isn’t recent. It was in Feb 2016. But the road condition was positively nightmarish in maharashtra / marathwada region 🥲

Edited by sankalpk
Edit some details
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2021 at 2:20 PM, sankalpk said:

But the road condition was positively nightmarish in maharashtra / marathwada region

 

Thank you for the update, one of my office mate is planning to take this route. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
Guest Amrit

Has anyone travelled to Indore from Hyderabad recently? I want to travel this week but want to know current road situation?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2021 at 9:57 AM, Guest Amrit said:

Has anyone travelled to Indore from Hyderabad recently? I want to travel this week but want to know current road situation?


Please refer to the updates from @sankalpk. That has been the latest update so far..

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 5/4/2021 at 9:08 AM, ytjdfhadsjfhj said:

Hi Amrit, Did you travelled to Indore? if yes, share your experience as i plan to travel this week. 


Please refer to the same thread, members who have travelled lately have shared their experiences about their travel

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Our picks

    • Hyderabad to Chikmagalur road trip
      Summary:
        • Like
      • 13 replies
    • Hyderabad to Gottamgutta, A short weekend getaway..
      Distance: 120 kms.  Road condition: Excellent (upto Zaheerabad) You divert from the highway towards Chincholi forest reserve near the Mahindra factory exit. The road is a single lane road and through the farms. 
        We started from Miyapur around 7 AM in 3 cars. Packed all the food and water. 
      Note: Be sure to carry your shoes as there would be a short trek to reach the banks of the lake. 
      I will let the pictures do the talking.   The road towards the Chincholi forest after getting down the NH 65

      The weather was good as the sun shone gently on us that morning


      The entry gate of the Chincholi forest was very welcome


      Though it was a mud track beyond the gate, the drive was smooth and fun.

       
      The track will is pretty narrow to just fit in 1 car at a time



      Our first pit stop was a small temple enroute amidst the Chincholi forest

       

       
        • Like
      • 31 replies
    • Hyderabad Weekend Getaways under 200 kilometers
      Weekend getaways
        • Like
      • 67 replies
    • Road trip in Electric Vehicle, San Francisco to Los Angeles
      Sharing a road trip experience in Tesla, will be update this log on daily basis(Three days trip). 
      This is not a leisure travel, We had to go on a work trip from SF to LA.
      I will be sharing road trip experience in EV with Pros and Cons when compared with ICE cars.

       
      Car Specifications:
      Range: 600 kilometers per charge (EPA) 0-100: 3.8 Seconds Top speed is limited to 250km/hr  Supports upto Level-3 charging : 250KW/hr Will be sharing more information on Tesla Super chargers in the upcoming posts  
      A day before the trip
       
      Planning:
      Road trips in electric cars need some planning when compared to traditional(ICE) cars. 
       
      STEP 1: 
      You can use Tesla website to plan your trip, Select the car that you are planning to take on a drive Check out the website for fun : https://www.tesla.com/trips SF to LA has close to 10+ Tesla super chargers(Distance : 600+ kilometers)
       
      STEP 2: 
      Calculate total charging time required, you can check Tesla website to understand your trip plan Total charging time required on a 616 kilometers trip is 55 minutes Details given above are in ideal conditions: 90% charge before you start, follow speed limits, no opposite wind, no cold weather(below 0C), no snow storm etc In real world, range varies, this is similar to our ARAI mileage Tesla calculates/displays range based on EPA(ARAI), add 15~20% range error All the Tesla Chargers are located close to some of the best food courts/restrooms  Total saving for the trip when compared with gas cars is 52$
       
      If you have any queries comment below, will answer them.
        • Like
      • 5 replies
    • Ola mega electric factory, can produce 30 EV's per minute
      Product capacity 20 lakhs two wheelers per year 500 Acers 10,000 jobs, you can apply here (https://olaelectric.com/) 10 production lines Will produce an EV every 2 seconds First Indian electric two-wheeler company to begin international exports
       
      Key Specs:
      100 kilometers per charge Top speed 100km/hr  
      Check out the video:
       
        • Like
      • 1 reply
×
×
  • Create New...